Home Church Resource:
Prepare the Way
(Micah 6:8 Journey)
August 2 (The Gospel, Discernment and Privilege)
Eat Together (30 min) Please practice current safety measures as we begin to gather in-person, seeking to enjoy the devotion of sharing a meal. Consider how to safely eat together (try to have each family bring food for their household, etc.).
Worship & Prayer (20 min)
“Worship is the acknowledgement of, agreement with, and yielding to lordship, wholeheartedly offering attention and affection to ascribe worth.”
Follow this LINK for this week’s Worship Resource that also has practical instructions on how to worship together on Zoom.
We are going to pause for 2 minutes to consider how we will give this week. For those that call Navah home, this is a time for you to give right now or review your giving to all God does in and through Navah. During this time, also listen and ask the Spirit if there is a need/person He wants you to bless. Let’s wait in silence for 2 minutes now. Give Online.
The Life Transformation School (LTS) will run from August 3-15 this year and will follow social distancing guidelines. This is foundational training for Navah membership and leadership. It is not a standard information course but an opportunity for the Holy Spirit to work in us, transforming us further into the image of Christ. Registration is open on the Navah website HERE. THIS IS THE LAST DAY TO SIGN UP.
Kids (time varies)
Consider how you integrate these kids resources from Navah Kids. Each home church will do this differently depending on the number and age of the children participating. Remember to include your kids as much as possible and have fun! See the resource HERE.
Care (20 min)
Hi/Lo or Good News Stories
Invite each person to share a brief Hi/Lo (gratitude and prayer need)
Consider having the next person who shares pray a short blessing over the previous person who shared
Message from Adam Cox (31 min)
“The Gospel, Discernment, and Privilege” - Adam Cox
- Before pressing into discussion, pause as a group to pray and invite the Holy Spirit to help gather thoughts and hear His wisdom. Spend 3-5 minutes in silence, asking the Lord to help center your hearts and minds.
Considerations and Questions
Important ideas from teaching:
- Jesus is Lord - Jesus is our Righteousness, Jesus is Justice, Jesus is Truth and Jesus is the Way through this complex cultural moment. Jesus, help us discern good from evil, truth from error, the kingdom of God from the kingdoms of this world!
- The Way of Jesus in His Kingdom - Identify with the oppressed, work towards their liberty, expose evil yet release forgiveness and mercy to oppressors, serve and extend love to your enemies and bring down barriers of separation so we can become One in Jesus our Lord! (Humility)
- The way of the kingdom of darkness - Opposed to the Lordship of Jesus. Its goal is to point out oppression with judgment, feed bitterness and anger, establish hate towards your enemy and overthrow in rebellion. (Pride)
“The gospel of the Kingdom is the good news that Jesus is Lord of all of life, His Kingdom Way is available for all people and in all of life. If we have received Jesus as Lord, we must continue to live our lives in His Lordship, every thought, feeling, decision, realm and sphere of life.” (Adam Cox).
- Is the Spirit revealing barriers to receiving the light in your life in areas that need the liberating presence and Lordship of Jesus? (The barrier of bitterness, pride, unforgiveness, judgement)
- How do we keep our hearts soft and free from judgment towards those that seek to bring change by their own efforts? (Those that want “the kingdom without the King”)
“Colossians 2:6-8 NIV, “So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces (basic principles) of this world rather than on Christ.”
- Do we discern the difference between the outcry of black lives matter and the organization of Black Lives Matter?
- How can these scriptures help us to discern what we see happening in our world?
“Jesus had unearned privilege in the universe as the all-knowing, all-powerful, all-wise ruler and creator of all things. In His choice to be born into our world, ‘He did not consider equality with God a thing to be grasped but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, becoming obedient to the point of death on a cross.’ Through this act of sacrificial love, Jesus emptied His privilege to give us unearned benefit eternally… thank God for privilege and it’s proper stewardship in Christ.” [That is a short-hand description of the Gospel itself from Philippians 2] (Adam Cox)
- Last week, Lisa Koons shared, “we have many things in life that we did not earn. It is what we do with our privilege that makes all the difference.” What are some practical ways we might be able to use the opportunities and privileges we have in serving Jesus and others towards the Gospel being revealed and experienced?
Communion (10 min)
Ask each person/household to prepare elements ahead of time - give them a few days heads up if possible
Read short passage - 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
Lead them in receiving the elements
Consider singing or reciting the doxology together (acapella)
Lord’s Prayer Together (2 min)