May 7, 2020 - A message from the Core Team
May 7, 2020
Covid-19 updated response
Dear Navah Family,
We wanted to take a few moments to express what an honor and joy it has been to be part of this family over the last few months during this crisis. Many of you have been required to act fast and make hard choices and we are so thankful for the way you have responded with grace and flexibility to the changing circumstances and to our leadership. In this season we have all experienced loss and pain and have probably made mistakes and encountered failure, but through it all we have seen you respond in love, demonstrate trust and bear one another's burdens.
In light of some of the unpredictable changes we are now facing as life, social interaction and our economy reemerges we would like to suggest the following way forward:
Navah Home Churches will remain virtual for the month of May.
We love that KC is in two states and made up of many counties and municipalities, but it does get a little confusing when they are all on a slightly different timeline and phases of re-opening. To limit confusion and honor the most vulnerable amongst us we are asking all our home churches to stay virtual this month. We will continue to communicate about our recommendations for June and beyond as we see how the phases roll out across our city and surrounding areas.
Navah will remain meeting in Home Churches every sunday through the end of July.
We have prayerfully considered this and come to this decision for these three main reasons.
We know we are allowed to gather small, most of our sources are saying that the 10/10/10 rule will be effective through the beginning of July. By keeping Home Church every Sunday through July it keeps us from being continually reactive to decisions that are out of our control.
We see the incredible value of people having the higher level of connection, care and participation that is found in Home Church in these vulnerable days. A steady, safe, predictable pattern is important.
We want to continue to honor social responsibility to curb the spread and protect the most vulnerable amongst us. If the city ordinance changes sooner and allows us to gather above 100 people we will aim to do that on another day rather than Sunday and look forward to all being together again!
We know there has been some confusing information circulating about what information we are asked to submit to the local government during this season. We want to assure you that we are not required to submit attendance lists but they are suggesting we keep them for our own use for 30 days to help inform anyone who may have come into contact with Covid-19 because of one of our gatherings. This information will always only be collected voluntarily and shared with your permission. Please see this KCMO gov link for the exact wording, sections F/G/H have the relevant information : LINK
As a team we often remind ourselves that our choices can have a significant impact on different people, affecting their opinions, health and actions. It’s a great reminder for all of us that in the midst of the pressures of the pandemic, we can easily look for someone to blame and accuse, this can result in divisions, judgments, people taking opposing positions and bitter conclusions, and as followers of Jesus we are not immune to this temptation.
Depending on our convictions, medical condition, personality type and even political persuasion we will view how and when we should be in person together differently. Let us remember that we are part of a different Kingdom and are called to live from Christ within us, responding by the Holy Spirit. Let us avoid judgment and contempt, handling one another with care, comfort and understanding. Let us continue to love one another in the midst of the pandemic and let us not quarrel over disputable matters (even on social media). We will navigate these challenges preserving unity in Christ if we proceed with humility, kindness and open honest dialogue (Romans 14:1).
If you have any questions regarding any of these decisions we are happy to talk through it with you. We are trying to do our best to make choices prayerfully and wisely, holding love and honor as the highest motivators.
The Navah Core Team
* Update because of Kansas City's current 'Stay in Place' mandate we will be moving to an every week virtual/online Home Church Gathering rhythm starting March 29 - See this resource on how to self organize into smaller units so that your online experience is interactive
See the Home Church Resources for a special 6 week resource that is focused on Abiding in Jesus During Crisis
March 22, 2020 - a message from the Core Team
A prayerful and practical response
March 17, 2020
Dear Navah Family,
This letter is to help all of us navigate and respond amidst the growing Covid-19 crisis. We are aimed at living in wisdom without fear and moving away from self-protection to love and social responsibility in the service of others as Jesus embodied for us! This is a real crisis and stopping community spread for the vulnerable is of huge importance. Whatever challenges face us, we can trust God is able to lead us well and bring new hope in our lives, neighborhoods and nation. In many ways we are prepared and uniquely positioned for this crisis, through how God has already led us to decentralize into Home Churches and equip our body as prayerful, families on mission.
We are carefully and prayerfully monitoring the recommendations of the CDC, public health officials and city regulations in order to make wise decisions. Because this is a rapidly changing situation we will keep in close communication should additional adjustments be necessary.The latest communication from Kansas City is mandating no events/gatherings with more than 10 attendees (kcmo.gov/coronavirus nixle.us/BPGRG).
With this in mind, Navah is taking the following action steps:
Navah Family Events & Gatherings over 10 people will be canceled over the next 8 weeks, (March 16th to May 10th) including:
Friday Night Fire- March 20, 27, April 3, 10
Navah Saturday Gatherings at La Fe- from March 21 through May 10
Spring Retreat- April 17-19 ( we will be in touch with you individually to administrate refunds)
Our New Schedule and Priorities are a creative and redemptive response to the current circumstances that we feel reflect the Holy Spirit’s guidance, wisdom and pastoral care.
Friday Night Fire- March 20, 8-9pm Zoom
- This Friday night we will be using Zoom to lead the prayer meeting from Oak House. Please join in from your homes as the Navah Prayer and Worship team will lead us.
Join Zoom Meeting 3/20/20
Meeting ID: 592 969 426
- We will communicate about the rest of the Friday Night Fire dates early next week. Links and details to join will be coming soon.
This Sunday- March 22
- The Core Team will be recording a message of encouragement and guidance about Covid-19 that you can watch on your own or with your families this Sunday.
- There will be no Home Church meetings this Sunday.
- Home Church leaders, supported by their Regional Teams, will make plans for the coming 8 weeks and communicate to their Home Churches directly.
Home Churches- March 29 through May 10
- We believe that Home Churches are essential for people’s spiritual, emotional, and in the deepest sense, bodily health. It is crucial that we do not allow fear to cause us to isolate (even if we are in self quarantine) or keep us from the devotion of fellowship or the call to mission. As the writer of Hebrews reminds us: ‘Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.’ (Heb. 10:24–25).
If you choose to self-quarantine for personal health or social responsibility we honor that decision and we are grateful for technology that keeps us connected in worship and fellowship.
- We are recommending that Home Churches supported by their Regional Leadership teams self-organize into smaller units of around 10 and meet weekly in-person or over technology starting March 29 until we resume larger Navah gatherings.
- We will continue to resource the smaller units of Home Churches with worship songs, kids resources and topics or teachings as we have over the last year.
- We will also utilize online platforms for prayer, worship, teaching and connection more frequently.
- We will have new guidelines for smaller units of Home Churches that help us be more conscious of containing and stopping the spread of Covid-19 and more intentional about being the light of Jesus to those around us. It’s important to remember that those who are strong in body and less likely to be seriously affected by the virus must take extra precautions to protect those more vulnerable, this is love. Your Home Church leaders have received these guidelines already.
Prepare the Way Series
- We have been sensing and sharing for some time that 2020 would be a year of great shaking, that we pray and believe would lead to revival. God instructed us to share messages that would ‘Prepare’ us for such a time. Please listen to the messages so far on the Navah website and respond as the Spirit leads you. https://www.navahchurchkc.com/teaching-series/category/prepare-the-way
- We plan to continue this series with audio and video recordings that will be accessible for the Navah family to play in homes.
- There is nothing more significant or powerful that we can do right now than pray. We receive comfort, peace and wisdom in His presence. God wants to bring revival and redemption out of this crisis. He hears us and will act when we ask!
- In addition to Friday Night Fire we will be joining with 24-7 Prayer USA as they launch a national ‘Call to Prayer’ to cover March 15 until April 12 (Easter) in home based non-stop prayer. Read more at www.24-7prayerusa.com/a-call-to-prayer. You can sign up at https://www.24-7prayer.com/signup/39fd05
- Our larger global family, 24-7 Prayer International, has amazing resources for us to use during this time, see their website for these resources and download the LECTIO365 app as they will be targeting this crisis on both of these platforms: https://www.24-7prayer.com/coronavirusprayer
- Your physical, emotional and spiritual health is a top priority for us. We want to make sure no one is isolated or left without support as much as possible.
- If you do not have a Home Church and would like to be connected to one, please fill out this form https://navahchurchkc.ccbchurch.com/goto/forms/67/responses/new
- If you are in a difficult place for any reason please reach out to your Home Church leaders who can pass needs along to Regional Leaders and beyond if necessary.
- Let us live in the opposite spirit to the culture around us. One of the most powerful ways to do this in a time of fear and stock-piling for ourselves is to live and give generously to others in need. A great way to communicate the gospel is through acts of generosity. Additional resources could very well be needed by those in your region/home church. Be ready to bless others in the Spirit of Father's abundance right now.
- Also we want to ask you to please continue to faithfully ‘Give’ financially to Navah as we care for the growing needs of our people, Home Churches and city. You can do so here https://navahchurchkc.aware3.net/give/ on the Navah app, website or by mail at Navah Church KC 300 E. 39th Street, Kansas City, MO 64111
With all of this in mind we will leave it up to the conscious of each person and household to decide how they will engage with all these matters. There will be no judgement if you feel you are to take more intensive measures to help stop the spread of Covid-19. This is a real crisis and stopping community spread for the vulnerable is of highest importance. If you choose to self-quarantine, we encourage you to stay connected to the Navah family and christian fellowship through various forms of technology such as WhatsApp, Zoom, Google Hangouts, FaceTime, etc.
The Navah Core Team and wider leadership are with you in this crisis, trusting for God’s highest glory and redemptive purposes. It is an honor to follow Jesus with you, our family. These words of Jesus are our hope and prayer for you all and the hurting world around us,
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” (John 14:27)
Adam & Juli Cox
On behalf of the Navah Core Team
(David Blackwell, Graham Catto & Katie Egli)