Following Jesus Together
September 27: Mark 10:17-22 DBS
Eat Together (30 min) Please practice current safety measures as we begin to gather in-person, seeking to enjoy the devotion of sharing a meal. Consider how to safely eat together (try to have each family bring food for their household, etc.).
Worship & Prayer (20 min)
“Worship is the acknowledgment of, agreement with, and yielding to lordship, wholeheartedly offering attention and affection to ascribe worth.”
Follow this LINK for this week’s Worship Resource that also has practical instructions on how to worship together on Zoom.
Psalm 16 for Lectio Divina
We are going to pause for 2 minutes to consider how we will give this week. For those that call Navah home, this is a time for you to give right now or review your giving to all God does in and through Navah. During this time, also listen and ask the Spirit if there is a need/person He wants you to bless. Let’s wait in silence for 2 minutes now. Give Online.
Thank you to all who have contributed to this year's FaithFund! September is the last month for contributions in this FaithFund year of 2019/2020. We begin a new year with new pledges in October for the next year and will be reporting on the wonderful fruit from the contributions from the 2019/2020 year.
Kids (time varies)
Consider how you integrate these kids’ resources from Navah Kids. Each home church will do this differently depending on the number and age of the children participating. Remember to include your kids as much as possible and have fun! See the resource HERE.
Care (20 min)
Hi/Lo or Good News Stories
Invite each person to share a brief Hi/Lo (gratitude and prayer need)
Consider having the next person who shares pray a short blessing over the previous person who shared
DBS and Commentary
“How do I attain eternal life?” This was the question on the heart of a young, very successful man. What did he mean by his question? Immortality, fame, paradise, rest, or reward? All of these could be and have been used to describe “eternal life.” We could wonder what exactly this young man was thinking when he asked Jesus this question. It is clear, however, in Jesus’ response, that this man had an opportunity to receive much more than he expected.
After hearing the Lord’s answer on the steps needed for eternal life, the rich young ruler most likely felt excited. Everything that Jesus had listed, he had done. In fact, he had been doing it his whole life. According to Jesus, he was in! The scriptures tell us at this point that Jesus looked at him and loved him. Jesus knew full well the internal crisis He was about to create, but out of pure love for this beloved man, He knew it needed to be done. “One thing you lack…go and sell everything, give it away, and come follow Me.” In that sentence, Jesus illuminated both the crisis and the cure. Eternal life was not merely a place to get to once you had achieved spiritual or cultural success. Jesus was revealing that life, both temporal AND eternal, begins and ends with Him. This young man walked away empty-handed and broken-hearted.
What has our heart? What has our time, our treasure, and our trust? Jesus says to find your life, you must lose it. He says this knowing all things find their fullness in Him (Colossians 1:17).
Accountability - Follow-up from Sunday, September 20th
- Have you noticed any changes as you’ve followed Jesus this week? What has been different, if anything, after last week's scripture reflection?
- Consider taking some time for testimony from the past week around the lordship of Jesus in new and developing areas of your life.
Scripture and DBS questions - Mark 10:17-22
- What do we learn about God (Father? Jesus? Holy Spirit?)
- What do we learn about people?
- What might we suppose the rich young ruler meant when asking about “eternal life”
- Like the rich young ruler, is there anything you’ve done that you believe has made you “successful”? Is part of our identity still tied up in temporary things? What might some of those things be?
- Have you had a similar encounter with Jesus, having identified “idols” that need to be let go of?
Communion (10 min)
- Ask each person/household to prepare elements ahead of time - give them a few days heads up if possible
- Read short passage - 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
- Lead them in receiving the elements
- Consider singing or reciting the doxology together (acapella)
Lord’s Prayer Together (2 min)