Following Jesus Together
October 4: The Kingdom Before Politics
(Matthew 6:33, 7:24-27, Matthew 12:25)
Eat Together (30 min) Please practice current safety measures as we begin to gather in-person, seeking to enjoy the devotion of sharing a meal. Consider how to safely eat together (try to have each family bring food for their household, etc.).
Worship & Prayer (20 min)
“Worship is the acknowledgment of, agreement with, and yielding to lordship, wholeheartedly offering attention and affection to ascribe worth.”
Follow this LINK for this week’s Worship Resource that also has practical instructions on how to worship together on Zoom.
Psalm 103:1-12 for Lectio Divina
We are going to pause for 2 minutes to consider how we will give this week. For those that call Navah home, this is a time for you to give right now or review your giving to all God does in and through Navah. During this time, also listen and ask the Spirit if there is a need/person He wants you to bless. Let’s wait in silence for 2 minutes now. Give Online.
- Please encourage everyone to register to vote - deadlines are October 7 in Missouri and October 13 in Kansas.
- Please encourage everyone to be praying for the nation, to research the various candidates at national, state, and local levels, to prayerfully ask the Lord whom to vote for, and of course to vote.
Kids (time varies)
Consider how you integrate these kids’ resources from Navah Kids. Each home church will do this differently depending on the number and age of the children participating. Remember to include your kids as much as possible and have fun! See the resource HERE.
Care (20 min)
Hi/Lo or Good News Stories
Invite each person to share a brief Hi/Lo (gratitude and prayer need)
Consider having the next person who shares pray a short blessing over the previous person who shared
Video, Discussion, and Prayer
“The Kingdom Before Politics” - Adam Cox
Leaders - pray before beginning the discussion, and do your best to create space to hear from others. Remind people in this time that questions are better than answers and that understanding and love is the goal.
General Response and Discussion
- What is something that struck you from the teaching this weekend?
- Five Aims for Following Jesus in Our Time
- Do I go to Jesus and scripture first to define my thinking on issues? Or do popular media outlets, personal history, and cultural experience have a tendency to primarily shape my lens?
Prayer Response out of Ephesians 1 Exhortation
- Faith in the Lord Jesus - Holy Spirit, is there anything in my foundation that is not rooted in Jesus, and instead rooted in political or cultural ideology?
- Love for all the saints - Holy Spirit, where, in this charged season, how can I show love for those I disagree with right now? Is there a specific person I need to seek out, seeking forgiveness or reconciliation after disagreement politically or ideologically?
- Prayer for our nation as we approach election day
Lord, we need Your wisdom and Your way. Regardless of the outcome, may we recenter our lives on you, Lord Jesus.
Communion (10 min)
Ask each person/household to prepare elements ahead of time - give them a few days heads up if possible
Read short passage - 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
Lead them in receiving the elements
Consider singing or reciting the doxology together (acapella)
Lord’s Prayer Together (2 min)