Following Jesus Together
November 8: Following Jesus as He follows the Father (John 5:16-23)
Eat Together (30 min) Please practice current safety measures as we begin to gather in-person, seeking to enjoy the devotion of sharing a meal. Consider how to safely eat together (try to have each family bring food for their household, etc.).
Worship & Prayer (20 min)
“Worship is the acknowledgment of, agreement with, and yielding to lordship, wholeheartedly offering attention and affection to ascribe worth.”
Follow this LINK for this week’s Worship Resource that also has practical instructions on how to worship together on Zoom.
We are going to pause for 2 minutes to consider how we will give this week. For those that call Navah home, this is a time for you to give right now or review your giving to all God does in and through Navah. During this time, also listen and ask the Spirit if there is a need/person He wants you to bless. Let’s wait in silence for 2 minutes now. Give Online.
- January LTS registration is open and available HERE
- During the 2019/2020 Faith Fund season, we were privileged to give over $75,000 to see the expansion and multiplication of missions and the most vulnerable amongst us cared for. Here is a chart to show the breakdown of the distribution of funds. Please prayerfully consider joining us in this new 2020/21 Faith Fund season by completing the online form HERE. For more information about how Faith Fund works, please visit this link. Thank you for extending your faith and being part of the Gospel expansion.
Kids (time varies)
Consider how you integrate these kids’ resources from Navah Kids. Each home church will do this differently depending on the number and age of the children participating. Remember to include your kids as much as possible and have fun! See the resource HERE.
Care (20 min)
Hi/Lo or Good News Stories
Invite each person to share a brief Hi/Lo (gratitude and prayer need)
Consider having the next person who shares pray a short blessing over the previous person who shared
Commentary, DBS, and Additional Questions - John 5:16-23
Jesus both delighted and divided the masses of people that experienced His teaching and ministry. His claims about Himself, His Father, and the work He was doing challenged the religious practices of Israel, as well as the relational nature of God towards mankind. Yet it seems Jesus was left undistracted by the clamor of the people. In the midst of confusion and near violence on His life, Jesus gives a simple explanation as to why He is doing what He is doing. He says it is what the Father is doing, so He must follow. There was any number of “rabbit trails” Jesus could have followed in the course of His ministry. There was much to be dealt with spiritually, politically, and culturally. And while it can be said that Jesus left no stone unturned, what can be said with certainty is that He did nothing He had not seen or known the Father to be doing.
There is no shortage of Kingdom work that we can put our hearts and our hands to. But like our Lord Jesus, everything we do must flow out of our following the Father. Jesus is the perfect example of love birthing obedience; love creating confidence to follow the Lord’s leading in all of life. This is the life of the disciple; to love, listen, and learn to follow the leading of our Master, no matter where He leads.
Though the days may seem dark and out of control to many, we know that the Father is working - just as He always has - and He will accomplish what He has planned.
Imagination Question (3-5 minutes)
- What do you make of the Jew’s reason for wanting to kill Jesus? (vs 18)
DBS and Additional Questions
- What do we learn about God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit)?
- What do we learn about people?
- From the text, is there a sin to repent of, a promise to hold onto, an example to follow, or a command to obey?
- What are some of the things you have sensed God calling you to do? How have you been responding to His example?
- Is there “work” you have been busy with that may not be for you to accomplish?
Prayerful Close and Consideration
Father, thank You for Your love. Thank You, Jesus, for showing us the way of life; how to joyfully obey the Father in all we do and say. Holy Spirit, reveal to us how to live in the example of Jesus, as You lead us in putting our hearts to the work He has prepared for us. Amen.
Communion (10 min)
Ask each person/household to prepare elements ahead of time - give them a few days heads up if possible
Read short passage - 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
Lead them in receiving the elements
Consider singing or reciting the doxology together (acapella)
Lord’s Prayer Together (2 min)