January 17, 2021 - The Lord's Prayer (Luke 11:1-4)
Eat Together (30 min) Please practice current safety measures if gathering in-person, seeking to enjoy the devotion of sharing a meal. Consider how to safely eat together (try to have each family bring food for their household, etc.).
Worship & Prayer (20 min)
“Worship is the acknowledgment of, agreement with, and yielding to lordship, wholeheartedly offering attention and affection to ascribe worth.”
Follow this LINK for this week’s Worship Resource that also has practical instructions on how to worship together on Zoom.
- YouTube Playlist
- This playlist includes one song for communal singing and one instrumental song for contemplation/meditation.
- Psalm 11 for Lectio Divina
We are going to pause for 2 minutes to consider how we will give this week. For those that call Navah home, this is a time for you to give right now or review your giving to all God does in and through Navah. During this time, also listen and ask the Spirit if there is a need/person He wants you to bless. Let’s wait in silence for 2 minutes now. Give Online.
- The school year has just begun at Holliday Montessori Elementary School and the school is still operating virtually. This week, please write a letter or card of encouragement to the staff member that you relate to. The receiving of physical mail with encouragement makes a huge difference to the staff. Sending a small gift card is also appreciated, but is not essential. The letter or card should be mailed to the specific staff member at Holliday Montessori Elementary School, 7227 Jackson Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64132
- Navah has exciting new rhythms of scripture reading and prayer together. These are the initial steps of a common practice, receiving the richness of formation in the Word of God and time with him. The reading plan and weekly Prayer Resource is underway! Print off a paper copy of the Navah website and join in:
- Reminder to watch the video from the Core Team regarding our posture and response to recent events in our nation.
- We will have 3 days of prayer and fasting for our nation January 18-20 with a Zoom prayer gathering from 9:00-9:30 pm each evening. Get your prayer guide for the 3 days HERE
Kids (time varies)
Consider how you integrate these kids’ resources from Navah Kids. Each home church will do this differently depending on the number and age of the children participating. Remember to include your kids as much as possible and have fun! See the resource for ages three to six HERE, and a video for ages seven to eleven HERE (end at 4:10).
Care (20 min)
- Hi/Lo or Good News Stories
- Invite each person to share a brief Hi/Lo (gratitude and prayer need)
- Consider having the next person who shares pray a short blessing over the previous person who has shared.
Commentary and DBS Questions - The Lord's Prayer (Luke 11:1-4)
In Luke chapters 7-11, Jesus is continuing to proclaim and demonstrate the nature of God’s Kingdom. Jesus is the perfect example of God enjoying and engaging His creation. In these chapters, we see a deeper dimension in the ministry of Jesus. Not only are the people getting a fresh look at the activity of God, but they are actually receiving instruction and invitation to participate in the way of God! For many years, it felt like only the special few were graced to demonstrate the works of God, but now Jesus is offering a way for ALL to join in. What a revelation!
In Luke 11, after witnessing the way of Jesus, and His commitment to prayer that brought forth power (Luke 5:16, Luke 6:12), the disciples asked Him to teach them to pray. As Pete Grieg has noted, the disciples may have noticed a direct link between the power of Jesus and His prayer life. It seems they wanted in! The Lord responds with a prayer that has shaped the Church, and perhaps our world, ever since. The Lord’s prayer brings us into agreement with the very heart of God and His desires for us and for His world.
Prayer makes impact. It moves the heart of God and can shift the atmosphere of the whole place (just look at buildings shaking during prayer meetings in Acts 4:31). Blasé Pascal said that in prayer, God gives His creatures the dignity of causality. May our faith rise to receive this invitation, joining with the Holy Spirit in communion and intercession that the Father’s kingdom may come on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Read and Pray Together
- Read Luke 11:1-4 a few times together.
- Then, work through the Lord’s Prayer slowly one line at a time. After each line, lead the group in discussion or prayer asking, “what does this part of the prayer call us to as followers of Jesus?” Share back with each other your reflections. Consider having a prayer response to each line.
- Our Father who is in heaven
- You have made us one family in Jesus.
- Hallowed be Your name
- You are Our Father and You are Holy, Sovereign, Almighty, and Righteous.
- Your Kingdom Come, Your will be done, on Earth as it is in heaven
- Your Kingdom is above all Kingdoms. We long for Your work and Your ways to be experienced here on Earth.
- Give us this day our daily bread
- We trust You, our Father, for all that we need to flourish in our everyday lives
- Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us
- The same infinite mercy and forgiveness You have given us we give to others.
- Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil
- Deliver us from the enemies plan to steal our focus, our peace, our joy, and our love in the Holy Spirit
- Yours is the Kingdom, the Power, and the Glory forever
- You deserve all things, for all things are Yours. Ultimately, it is all about You.
- Our Father who is in heaven
- There is an opportunity to participate in 3 days of prayer and fasting starting tomorrow and going through Wednesday (1/18-1/20). Consider jumping on the Zoom call for guided prayer for the nation rooted in the movements of the Lord’s Prayer. These times will be from 9-9:30 pm each night.
- Is there one other daily time this week you can pull aside and pray the Lord’s prayer with Jesus? Carve out 30 seconds each day to meet with Him.
- Consider setting an alarm as a reminder on your phone to pull away and pray the Lord’s prayer.
- Is there a friend or family member you can commit to call and pray this prayer with this week?
Video - The Bible Project: Luke (Chapters 10-24)
Communion (10 min)
- Ask each person/household to prepare elements ahead of time - give them a few days heads up if possible
- Read short passage - 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
- Lead them in receiving the elements
- Consider singing or reciting the doxology together (acapella)