A Rule of life is simply an intentional plan and set of practices that help us abide in Jesus and keep Jesus at the center of everything we do. We desire Jesus’ wise and loving rule in our lives rather than life’s chaos to rule over us.
Navah’s Common Rule includes ‘shared practices’ that will form us and hold us together as a prayerful, family on mission following Jesus in all of life. They are passed down to us through the generations from Jesus and the church as a means to our growth, transformation and obedience to His commands.This is not a comprehensive list of all spiritual practices, but a great foundational starting place.
In 2021 we will start simply by committing to the first three practices together (1.Scripture Reading, 2.Silence, Solitude And Prayer, 3.Saints Gathered). We will aim to expand our practices and deepen them over time with biblical and practical teaching and resources. Feel free to explore the full list as well as other practices on your own as the Holy Spirit leads you.
*For a introduction to the Common Rule you can watch this Video from Adam Cox
Deeply Formed Disciples: Adam Cox
PRAYERFUL: SCRIPTURE READING
All of life anchored in God’s word
- Practice: One New Testament chapter daily- We will use a Bible reading plan that takes us through the whole New Testament (1 chapter a day Monday to Friday) and Psalms and Proverbs (on the weekends) in a calendar year. (Note: the Old Testament readings are included for those who would like to read the entire Bible.)
- Definition: Meditating on, internalizing and obeying the authoritative story of God’s person, history and purpose. The scriptures help us know God and love him, transforming our hearts, minds, identity, relationships and lifestyle.
- Jesus’ Command :Obey the word, Go Make Disciples
- Aim: All of life anchored in God’s word
PRAYERFUL: SILENCE, SOLITUDE AND PRAYER
All of life in God’s presence
- Practice: Once a day individually- Find some time in the day to be alone with God in silence and solitude practicing his presence and learning to listen. Consider using the P.R.A.Y model (Pause, Rejoice, Ask, Yield).
- Practice: Pray the common ‘Breath Prayer’ Daily
- Definition: Listening to God in silence, practicing loving attentiveness to his presence, sharing our hearts with him and yielding to his will in agreement.
- Jesus’ Command: Pray, Baptized in the Father, Son and Spirit
- Aim: All of life in God’s presence
RESOURCE: More info and monthly guides HERE
FAMILY: SAINTS GATHERED
All of life with God’s people
- Practice: Once a week- Gather with the Navah family weekly (home church or all together) to participate in prayerful, family on a mission. Our home churches will be tracking with the Scripture reading plan each week.
- Definition: Joint participation and shared life in Christ and his kingdom mission.
- Jesus’ Command: Love, Gather/Leadership, Lord’s Supper
- Aim: All of life with God’s people
Teachings from Adam & Juli Cox
The Gathered Church: Juli Cox
A Vision of the Church Scattered: Adam Cox
- Home Church Resources: 2022 Resources
FAMILY: SACRIFICIAL GIVING
All of life with God’s generosity
All of life from God’s rest
All of life with God’s priorities
All of life with God’s compassion
MISSION: SHARING JESUS/SEEKING JUSTICE
All of life with God’s good news