December 20: Receiving the Gift of Love
Eat Together (30 min) Please practice current safety measures as we begin to gather in-person, seeking to enjoy the devotion of sharing a meal. Consider how to safely eat together (try to have each family bring food for their household, etc.).
Worship & Prayer (20 min)
“Worship is the acknowledgment of, agreement with, and yielding to lordship, wholeheartedly offering attention and affection to ascribe worth.”
"O Come All Ye Faithful" | Jeremy Riddle
We are going to pause for 2 minutes to consider how we will give this week. For those that call Navah home, this is a time for you to give right now or review your giving to all God does in and through Navah. During this time, also listen and ask the Spirit if there is a need/person He wants you to bless. Let’s wait in silence for 2 minutes now. Give Online.
- This coming Wednesday, December 23rd, from 6:30-7:30 PM, we have a very special all-family Christmas Gathering via Zoom. We are filled with anticipation of our time together as we celebrate the birth of Jesus. Join us! The Zoom link will be shared in the coming days.
- Information about the 2021 Bible Reading Plan starting Jan 1st
- The annual January Life Transformation School (LTS) has been postponed to April 26th through May 8th. Registration is open HERE.
- Please communicate by email an encouraging word and Christmas greeting to your teacher/staff member at Holliday Montessori Elementary School this week. Pray for protection from Covid, and strength for the staff as they return in 2021.
Kids (time varies)
Consider how you integrate these kids’ resources from Navah Kids. Each home church will do this differently depending on the number and age of the children participating. Remember to include your kids as much as possible and have fun! Resource HERE.
Care (20 min)
- Hi/Lo or Good News Stories
- Invite each person to share a brief Hi/Lo (gratitude and prayer need)
- Consider having the next person who shares pray a short blessing over the previous person who has shared.
Advent Reflections and Resources - Love: Joseph (Matthew 1:18-25)
Advent means a coming into place, view, or being. It means “an arrival.” This is the season that we give both reverent and exuberant praise to the Father for giving the Gift above all gifts. He has fulfilled His promise and purposes - that our past, present, and future hope has been revealed in the arrival of Immanuel…God with Us (Isaiah 7:14). He has done this in the Son, Jesus. Our hope, peace, joy, and love have come near through the incarnation of the Son of God. Through Jesus, all things can come into place, view, and being. Glory to God in the Highest, and on Earth, peace, and goodwill towards ALL!
Oh God of Wonder, thank You so much for Your generosity in sending Your best for us and to us. Jesus, we worship You, as the Beloved Son sent to ransom beloved sons and daughters back to the Father. Holy Spirit, You are most welcome here in Your people. Advent with us, Lord. Make Yourself at home with us. In the marvelous name of Jesus, amen.
- Scripture Reflection - Matthew 1:18-25
- Read the scripture once through, asking the Holy Spirit to bring a freshness to the story. After reading, spend a few moments in quiet reflection.
- “Firstborn” Meditation - "Joseph (Love)" | Poor Bishop Hooper
- This is a wonderful, creative offering from some of our very own friends in the Navah family. Jesse and Leah Roberts have created this series of songs for enjoyment and reflection during Advent. Enjoy!
- Scripture Reflection - Read the Scripture again and engage these questions
- Joseph sought his own solution to what he perceived was a cultural/religious issue; quietly dismissing Mary (vs 19). Have you ever found yourself trying your own solutions before seeking the counsel of God?
- Joseph was clearly overwhelmed by what God had already done in Mary (vs 20). Has there ever been a time when you have felt scared by a move of God or overwhelmed by His promises over your life?
- Mary and Joseph were both entrusted with the life of Jesus (vs 20-21, 24-25). How has the Lord brought others around you to steward His plans and purposes?
- Advent Prayer of Love - Isaiah 9:7
- King Jesus, like the Apostle Paul, we say we gladly bow our knee before You. We proclaim the strength and integrity of Your Kingdom. And we say let Your Kingdom come on Earth as it is in Heaven this Advent season. We give You honor and praise, lifting our hearts in worship. Be enthroned in our hearts, Your church, and Your world, now and forever. Amen.
Communion (10 min)
- Ask each person/household to prepare elements ahead of time - give them a few days heads up if possible
- Read short passage - 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
- Lead them in receiving the elements
- Consider singing or reciting the doxology together (acapella)
Lord’s Prayer Together (2 min)